Rara Lake Trekking
Rara Lake Trekking is one of the most unbelievable and attractive treks in all the Himalayan range that lies in northwest of Kathmandu in the remote area of Karnali.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Challenging
Rara Lake Trekking is one of the most unbelievable and attractive treks in all the Himalayan range that lies in northwest of Kathmandu in the remote area of Karnali. The undisturbed and the largest lake in Nepal are also renowned as Mahendra Tal. If you are looking of wilderness and solitude travel, this trek is an ideal choice. The Rara National Park ascends from 1800 m to 4480m forested by conifers. The important thing Rara National Park is the pristine Rara Lake, which stands at the height of 2990 m. and spreads over 10.8 square kilometers. The route is very much ‘off the beaten track’ and gives plenty glimpses of cultures and backdrop very different from the rest of Nepal.
The clear, high altitude lake of Rara, which mirrors the snowcapped Himalayas, is ringed with blue pine, black juniper forest and Himalayan cypress Lake Rara is a renowned pilgrimage place for Nepalese. Chuchemara Dauda at the elevation of 4087meters is the best point to get the wonderful views of the deep blue clear lake and highly forested hillside. More than 500 different kinds of flowers with Rhododendrons, Black Juniper, West Himalayan Spruce, Oak and Himalayan Cypress are found in this park. And also it is home to 20 different species of mammals and 214 species of birds. Rara Lake is the largest lake which is 5 kilometers long and 2 kilometers wide. The national Park is one of the best places in Nepal to see wildlife. In summer rainfall is low, and ideal for trekking. In the winter there is often snow on the surrounding lake. In the autumn season trekkers are rewarded with an excess of alpine flowers.
- All airport/hotel transfers
- Accommodation in 4-star hotel (Hotel Shanker or similar category hotel) in Kathmandu, two nights in guest house in Nepalgunj/ and tented accommodation in mountain
- All domestic flights (Kathmandu-Nepalgunj -Jumla-Nepalgunj-Kathmandu)
- Guided sightseeing tour in Kathmandu
- Breakfast in Kathmandu, Nepalgung and all meals and boiled water in mountain
- All ground transportation as per the itinerary program by private vehicles
- All necessary staffs with experienced English speaking local guide, cook, assistant climbing leader (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide) and Sherpa porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers:1 porter), other helpers (1 trekker: 2 helpers) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- All necessary paper works; special trekking permit for Lower Dolpo trek
- Camping equipments-very high quality North Face or Mountain Hardware or similar kitchen, dining, toilet tents, mattresses, and kitchen equipments
- Travel and rescue arrangements
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Exclusive Medical Kit Bag
- All government and local taxes
- Nepal Visa fee (bring accurate USD cash and two passport photographs )
- Excess baggage charges
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara(and also in the case of early return from mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
- Tips for guides and porters
Arrive at Kathmandu
On your arrival at Kathmandu Airport you will be met by our representative who will take you to the hotel for the night.
Kathmandu City Tour
After having breakfast you take a sightseeing tour around Kathmandu valley. You will visit many Buddhist and Hindu temples which reflect the local culture and tradition of Nepalese society. In the afternoon you will be taken back to your Hotel.
Kathmandu to Nepalgunj
You have a flight to Nepalgunj from Kathmandu. O/N at Nepalgunj.
Nepalgunj to Jumla (2370m)
You take a further flight to Jumla from Nepalgunj. O/N at Jumla.
Jumla to Danphe Langa (3500m)
Following the main street of Jumla, passing the red-roofed hospital, the wide level trail leads to the college building and passes a collection of western-style houses. After a long climb the trail passes through Sisnamul (2830m) entering a forest of big trees to Chere (3010m) which is a large horse and sheep pasture. From Chere the trail becomes steeper and climbs through meadows to Danphe Lagna offering the views of Patrasi Himal (6860m) and Jagdula Himal (5785m). The trail descends gently through a forest of spruces, birches and rhododendron and reaches Danphe Lagna. O/N at Danphe Lagna.
Danphe Lagna to Chautha (2770m)
Descending steeply through the forest of firs, birches, walnuts and bamboo the trail comes to Hiran Duski (2840m) and then Sinja Khola. Crossing the bridge the trail follows to Nyawre (2660m). From here the trail leaves the river and starts climbing to Kabra. The steep climb proceeds to Bhara (2920m) which is a classical Tibetan village and descends to the village of Chautha.O/N at Chautha.
Chauta to Dhotu (2380m)
The trail follows the uphill way crossing some fields at Chante Chaur (2940m) and climbs to Bhulbule, the Rara National park entrance station (3130m). From here, climbing gently you get to Ghurchi Lagna (3450m). From here you can observe views of Mugue Karnali River and the snowy peaks bordering Tibet. Then the trail descends through a spruce forest leading to Pina (2400m). Following the direct trail to Rara Lake through pine forest passing Jhyari Khola at 2400m you reach to the small settlement of Dhotu. O/N at Dhotu.
Dhotu to Rara Lake (2980m)
Crossing a stream and making a steep climb to the village through a cedar forest to a huge meadow you can see excellent views of Rara Lake. Descending a short distance you reach Rara Lake. O/N at Rara Lake.
Acclimatization in Rara Lake
After having breakfast you can visit all around Rara Lake which is almost 13km. In Rara Lake there found otter and different kinds of fish. This region is full of birds, flowers and wild animals. O/N at Rara Lake.
Rara Lake to Gorosingha (3190m)
From Rara Lake the trail follows the Khatyar Khola to Majhghatta and climbing through the forest of pines, spruce and rhododendron you reach the meadow to a ridge at 3660m. On the ridge is Ghurchi Mara (3710m) from where you see excellent views of the western Himalaya. From here the trail drops into Ghatta valley then heads towards Gorosingha. O/N at Gorosingha.
Gorosingha to Sinja (2440m)
The trail leads down the Ghatta valley and then follows the Sinja Khola. After walking down the fertile valley through a heavily populated region of Brahman and Chhetri villages you can reach Sinja on the bank of Sinja Khola. O/N at Sinja.
Sinja to Jaljala Chaur (3270m)
The trail crosses the Sinja Khola passing a few small villages through the forest of pines, birches and oaks and then climbs steeply to Jaljala Chaur. O/N at Jaljala Chaur.
Jaljal Chaur to Jumla (2370m)
Climbing through the forest and descending to a few houses you will get to Chauri Khola (3090m). From here descending sometime and passing the school at Ghurumati t you come to Jumla. O/N at Jumla.
Jumla to Nepalgunj
Fly back to Nepalgunj. O/N at Nepalgunj.
Nepalgunj to Kathmandu
Fly back to Kathmandu. Hotel B.B. O/N at Kathmandu.
This is our last day in Nepal. It can be devoted to recreation, As well as the most important thing – the day you can buy presents for their relatives, colleagues and friends), the final evening gala dinner and going home. Late in the evening flight home.
A trek in Nepal is more about endurance than anything else. You will be trekking most days and can expect to be on the trail an average of 5–7 hours per day. The lower elevations may be the most difficult as you cover the most ground and the temperatures are hotter. By the time you reach the higher elevations you will be in prime condition and the distances are shorter. People of many ages and ability successfully complete all the treks in Nepal—those who are strong willed and in good condition should have few problems.